advertising and other stuff. no, really.



Friday, September 15, 2006

What parent would you give two aspirin to?

Does Ford just not get it? New Volvo TV out for the “Who Would You Give A Volvo To?” campaign has parents in trying circumstances. Accurate, but the original campaign is about real heros. Big disconnect between the two. Just like “Bold Moves” where humerous consumer-focused TV was paired with serious corporate web.

These spots feature everyday scenarios that while excellent at showing true family experiences, certainly don’t qualify for hero status. I didn’t get an award for surviving teaching my daughter how to drive.

Here’s a trying scenario I want to see: parents paying for college.

Tags: , , , ,

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Every time I see one of the "Who would you give a Volvo to?" billboards I launch into a rant about JUST HOW NICE IT WOULD BE to have the extra income to just GIVE CARS AWAY and then I realize I'm stuck in my crappy car yelling at, basically, myself. So I stop.

Anonymous said...

Volvo's online ads for this campaign are equally, ahem, lame --

http://adverlicio.us/volvo_who_would_you_give_a_volvo_to_728x90

They do best when they pivot off their incredibly strong safety legacy --

http://adverlicio.us/volvo_xc90_safety_is_beautiful_300x250

Enjoy!

Anonymous said...

Oh, Kate -- don't let advertising make you yell at ourself. Yell ito a podcast! I want to hear it a good rant about this.

Anonymous said...

But, everysandwich, I can trick people into thinking I have an ounce of smarts until they hear my valley girl voice aloud! And who wants to hear a valley girl ranting about being too poor to give away even a hypothetical Volvo, really?