advertising and other stuff. no, really.



Thursday, January 4, 2007

Making the Dogbone smaller.

Logo nicknames. Every brand’s got one. There’s the Nike Swoosh. The aforementioned Curevo Dogbone. Rolls-Royce has the Flying Lady. Swiss Army has the Shield. In the arena of logo as human, we have Cingular’s little man figure called Jack, and Bic’s aptly named Bic Boy.

And, most if not all brand people attach a special reverence to them, almost treating them like their own children, even going as far as to assign them human qualities: “The Flying Lady is never pretentious, and is always used on a plain background.” Others keep things more simple: the Land Rover badge. Simple. Direct. (Substitute the generic terms marque or logo for badge if you must, but never on a busy background.)

So, what are some of yours?

Tags: , , ,

2 comments:

raafi said...

I like the NBC peacock personally. I also like how NBC is referred to as "the peacock" in trade publications. CBS has the eye, but that falls way later on the continuum of cool as far as I'm concerned.

When I designed the logo for my production company I did it with the hope that we'll someday be referred to as "the elephant" in Creativity and Shoot. A logo and a dream. http://desedo.com/

People sometimes refer to the logo of the New England patriots as the Flying Elvis -- a name I like better than the logo.

Anonymous said...

I actually prefer the name ‘Flying Elvis’ to the actual team.

;-p