advertising and other stuff. no, really.



Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Quick, who shot this?

Yeah, me neither. While I know Coltrane, Basie and Getz, I never knew they were shot by Pete Turner, who I came across in an article in filter magazine. The photographer with the moody artist style has a new book out on the subject. His close-up style was new to a record world used to the typical high school portrait shot of smiling musicians.

It’s also easy to loose sight of just how impactful Recordcoverart-o-saurus really was when compared to today’s CD labels only a third of the size. Worse, compare jewel case labels to the accompanying image in a typical iTunes download that’s maybe a quarter of that and you can see just how much impact is lost.

(His work is also in a current exhibition through early February at the George Eastman House museum after which it will go on tour.)

Tags: ,

2 comments:

Irene Done said...

I want to say that the last great album cover photo was London Calling but I could be talked into the multi-photo More Songs About Building & Food.

Anonymous said...

- Elvis Costello had a few good ones.

- Steely Dan’s Asia is right up there for me.

- James Brown had some graphic covers.