advertising and other stuff. no, really.



Monday, February 26, 2007

Dove’s real ad, sorta.

I’m numb at this point really. Winner of the submit another user-generated idea, etc. Good for the winner, but it feels like this one undermines the Real Beauty campaign both in terms of message and execution. Someone on a blog post a few weeks ago hit it on the head after seeing the Doritos Super Bowl spots: all CGC has done is allowed users to mimic the typical ad format. After years of being fed a steady diet of :30 spots, it’s inevitable consumers would spit it right back at brands.

Tags: ,

2 comments:

Alan Wolk said...

The comments that are below the video (on the AOL site) are particularly sickening.

You're 100% right Bill-- it's like a BDA :30 spot. Maybe proof that spending money on BDAs to do ads that you then basically write yourself isn't worth it.
Though clients still like being able to say "Young and Rubicam do my ads" more than "I hired a great cameraman to shoot the spot my team wrote."

Anonymous said...

You mean like this ‘real’ comment:

“After seeing these Dove ads and realizing their appreciation for women, I'm starting to like them. I think I'll indulge my skin to dove body wash only from now on. ~Lois”

Excuse me, who the hell writes like that if they’re not on the brand?