advertising and other stuff. no, really.



Friday, March 2, 2007

It’s about time.

Like the development of fire, I’m a little late on the news today which Tim alerted me to. You can also read about it here and over on AC. Of course it’s risky to take a commercial and make it into a show, even though I’m behind that all the way. How many ads transition successfully? Not to mention, the shoulder on televison’s highway is littered with critic’s favs that bombed in the ratings. And, the writing on the spots now is better than most sitcoms. Will Geico have to dumb it down for the Everybody Loves Seinfeld crowd?

If so, it may lose its edge. It needs to be written as tightly as it is now, and no damn audience or laugh track. Ironically, even though the deal is with ABC, they may also be the wildcard show killer here. I’d rather see the show written for cable over network. They can take more risks and cable has the audience numbers compared to a decade ago.

Tags:

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

How many commercial characters have tried this leap from advertising to TV? I can't think of any right now. Gotta call you on the "Everyone Loves Seinfeld" comment though. Raymond was not in the same creative league as Seinfeld, in my view. I haven't read the actual reports on this, but it would be mighty nice if the current writers were part of this adventure.

Anonymous said...

I lumped them in sure, but the gist is this show could die if tries to change for the audience. The same writer is behind it as well.