advertising and other stuff. no, really.



Tuesday, May 8, 2007

Marky Mark goes to the movies.

Chris over at MMM has a story about how Cuban will now once again, take on the system and revamp the moviegoing experience. The idea is to make theatres more like your home: better with big-ass chairs, self-serve popcorn, etc. I loved his first experiment with Steven Soderbergh releasing a movie simultaneously on both DVD and in theatres. This move though seems like it might put more pressure on theatre owners to earn more just to cover these upgrades. Which translates to increased ticket prices. Yay!

I actually saw this model years ago. Small one-of-a-kind theatre in Milford, CT offered enclosed single seating with waitress service during the movie. They showed funky films and some well-knowns. They had fair ticket prices. They went out of business.

Not saying Cuban can’t make this work, but the home theatre experience is one I prefer to actually going out anymore and I think that’s a dynamic to consider. Even when I do go out, it’s likely for a niche genre that maybe only I prefer like Tarantino and a Grindhouse. (Based on its recent poor domestic showing overall, apparently it was a very small long tail niche which needs to rent or own this film bigtime to break even.)

Broad-based 4-quarter films don’t appeal to me because I know they’ll be in and out of release and at Hollywood video two months later. (Four quarter representing male and female viewers either over or under 25 years old.) Why waste $10 on those when I can rent for $4.29 and chill at home. A home with surround, my own beverage service and most importantly according to the MTLB Focus Group of One in my head:

I don’t want to be bothered by others.

(That’s a bigger issue than even high ticket prices.) The cell phone checkers. Loud talking teens spilling popcorn and swearing at each other. Countless TV ads on the screen. All things I experienced a few weeks ago at Hot Fuzz. (Don’t ask.) Even though social media involvment may be expanding, so to is the dreaded word cocooning. I just wanna sit home and chill.

Unless Cuban’s popcorn is amazing.

Tags:

1 comment:

RFB said...

This is a place we like to go when they're showing something decent. Arthouse style with indie films mostly and some festivals. Great food. But you'll note they are a dot org and survive on more than ticket prices and food alone. Membership means you get to reserve your favorite table and other perks.

Unless you put Cuban;s idea in a warehouse where you can seat 500 people, first run theatres won't realize their profit on this moedel. Unless, as you say, they seriously jack up ticket prices.