advertising and other stuff. no, really.



Friday, October 12, 2007

David Lynch on ideas.

It was either that title or ‘David Lynch is fucking out there.’ Yves over at Right-Half Chow found this clip of Lynch talking about ideas as only Lynch can. Worth a view for sure. I like his work, but I’m still trying to recover from Inland Empire. Not sure if that was the strangest or coolest movie I’ve ever seen. This meandering synopsis of it comes close to catching the vibe of it, but if I had to describe it in broader terms, it’s as if Lynch invented a camera that recorded his dreams, and we’re just watching the dailies.

On second thought. He is fucking out there.

Tags: ,

3 comments:

Joker said...

And I'm also tagging along for the ride. I'm also a pretty big Lynch fan and the best thing about being a Lynch fan is having someone ask you what a movie is about. I generally answer something on the lines of watch it and if you can find the real meaning, give me a call.

Frank said...

Inland Empire is in my Blockbuster queue, but I just watched Mulholland Drive over the weekend. For the first 2 hours, thought it was fairly straightforward for a Lynch film, moving along twos parallel stories that finally crossed paths, still waiting for the payoff for a third story; then the sucker takes a hard left turn into the blue box and Lynchian woo-woo.

Maybe I better move Inland Empire down the queue a bit so I can get over or figure out wtf happened in that last half hour first.

Joker said...

I totally agree with you Frank. I loved the flick but also thought it the closest Lynch has gotten to normal in one of his movies and it almost seems like he says... "wait a minute, I gotta weird this up, I'm David Lynch bitches".... and then we lose him. Truth be told, it's an interesting trip as usually is if you enjoy Lynchean surrealism and the undeniable charm of one power packed lesbian scene always helps cheer the male audience up. Now if you want full on Lynch, try Eraserhead or Twin Peaks Fire Walk Within Me and try to get back to me in regards to what the hell happens in the movies. Again, I love Lynch but I don't understand most of what's going on, I'm just going on feeling and the enjoyment of cryptic what-the-fucks. The funny thing is when people try to explain the movies because some interpretations are almost as weird as the films. Almost... Laters