advertising and other stuff. no, really.



Wednesday, October 10, 2007

What’s up with Technorati?

Okay, I’m a stat whore, I admit it. Do I have as many views or as much traffic as a Seth, Adrants or Copyranter. Uh, no. But compared to them, what little I have, I do like to maintain. (I also use it to see who’s linking to what content so I can tailor my posts as needed.) Two years of steady growth, all-time high subscription numbers and a few links from major bloggers later, and I’m doing ok. Until last month, when Technorati hit a lot of bloggers with a major drop in authority and subsequent drop in their ranking–without warning. Not to mention a host of link spammers using Technorati to link their fake blogs, here and elsewhere, yet Technorati isn’t doing anything about it.

If I was a real jerk, I could game the system by pinging all my inbound links in one major post and watch my numbers soar, a trick some prominent bloggers have used, but I’ll leave that black hat shit for the dark side of the net. I could also suggest everyone linking to my blog here remove my link just for a day, and relink to it again, but, why put people through that hassle.

Their response in their forums on almost every post complaining about it though was a generic FAQ link: “As older links fall off your count and new links are added, your link count may increase, decrease, or stay the same.” Uh, no. That woulda already happened several times over if that were the case. And if every other metric I use to track the blog indicated things were way down, I could see a corelation. But, every other stat I see is up thanks to everyone who spends valuable work-avoidance time here. Like, all-time high numbers-wise for me. I’m not the only one either this has happened to either. If you haven’t checked your Technorati rank lately, you might want to.

So Technorati, what gives?

Tags:

2 comments:

Brushback said...

Hmmm.... my own Technorati rating had dropped from 76 to 48 in the space of a month during the summer, and I wasn't sure why. Thanks for clearing up the mystery.

Alan Wolk said...

I have no idea what those numbers mean or how they calculate them.

Though some of the top blogs in the AdAge 150 do surprise me.

For all sorts of reasons.