advertising and other stuff. no, really.



Friday, April 10, 2009

I hate buying a car.

Dodge, Chrysler, Ford, GM, Chevy, VW, Toyota, Kia and Nissan. I’ve bought them all and I hate the process every, single, time. Love the Nu-Car™ smell—hate the sales process. Even considering what Saturn’s no-haggle leave the customer alone as soon as they walk into the showroom sales approach was supposed to do for the industry, it has sucked every, single, time. (That’s an ad from my local paper btw as I prepare to do battle this weekend—share my pain.) Slick dudes in slicker Members Only throwbacks and thin black ties trying to get me to go for (insert options here). All the research I do on cars.com or Consumerreports.com means exactly jack when entering the Arena™ of the dealership. Maybe Detroit’s problem is the middleman. Here’s a concept: Why can’t we just buy direct from the factory? Instead of destination charges, I’ll gladly Jet Blue it one-way and drive it back if it means I could save five thousand and avoid the tech school drop-outs masquerading as salesmen. Damn.

At least give me a free t-shirt instead of a nice catalog.

4 comments:

David said...

Good points here - I hate being attacked as soon as I start walking the lot, so I go when they're closed to look at the cars. Not the ideal situation for sure. This is an instance when I want LESS customer service. Stay away from me until I go see YOU. There's an idea.

phillybikeboy said...

That's why I buy my cars used, off eBay!

Halcyon said...

It's worse than you think.

Auto makers are terrified of the dealers: from their perspective, the dealers are their only customers.*

Ever wonder why most car ads are full of metal and features? They're the paper or video equivalent of your slick salesman, hand-picked and tweaked by the same.

This influence extends backwards into vehicle design. The dealers are treated as experts in what the customer wants. A salesman's taste level is reflected in every American-made car.

So there you have it: eliminate the middleman and get less expensive, better cars, and car ads that are actually worth watching.

*It's an oversimplification, but one the auto makers believe in.

p.s.
If you are actually buying a car, the best way is to get your loan pre-arranged through the bank. Play the dealers against each other in a bidding war, and take your time. Good luck.

Yant said...

VW do sell direct to the public in Germany, you can go and collect your new car from the factory.

@David - the better dealerships are aware of that strategy and don't open 7 days a week to allow for uninterrupted browsing days.

I'm sticking to my bicycles the shops are much more pleasant.