advertising and other stuff. no, really.



Tuesday, April 6, 2010

If it quacks like a comp.







At first glance, I thought this lawsuit was another case of an agency taking designs from a freelancer, then presenting them as their own. (Wait, that happens all the time with freelancers. IT’S THE NATURE OF THE BUSINESS. Agency pays freelancer an hourly rate to... COME UP WITH IDEAS AND LAYOUTS.) What’s different here is that the designer is claiming the agency in question (Zimmerman), told him the client (Aflac), wanted to go in a different direction.* But then, the *different* direction was the same as his and ended up in use. Except... the work Zimmerman apparently sent the designer to use as a guideline was already done by someone else. So I’m trying to figure out how a designer can call something else their own, that wasn’t to begin with. If you can figure this all out, yer better than I am.

(Via Danny G.)


*For the disclaimer freaks: Aflac is a client of Humongo that I’ve done work for.


1 comment:

Cynthia said...

I am befuddled by it all. And I am a creative services person in the advertising world. But then, I deal in words, so that must be the reason.

Design people are in a whole of their own.