advertising and other stuff. no, really.



Tuesday, March 27, 2007

I just don’t know where this fits.

I collect a lot of marketing materials, clips, ads, etc., and I’ve seen a lot of funky stuff, but this one just moved to the front of the line. Moreso because of where and when I got it. Yesterday, I met with a rental agent about a possible apartment. Problem was the place had already been rented days before I got there–something they forget to tell me when I set up the apt. Ok, no problem, shit happens and what’s one more wasted hour, right? So I said thanks and got up to leave. That’s when along with his business card, the agent said he had something else for me.

So he went over to his brochure table and pulled from a stack this two-sided gem of a pamphlet: 101 of the World’s Funniest One Liners. (I think it’s an $8 value too. At least the newer ones in book form are.) As if somehow “Take My Wife Please!” would somehow ease the sting of my leaselessness. Thing is, they’re not even one liners, they’re bad sayings you’d see on the desk of any hapless DMV worker:

24. Out of my mind. Back in five minutes.


I now feel bad for the cat clinging from a tree, trying to just, well, hang in there baby.

3 comments:

Irene Done said...

Hey! Turn that frown upside down, mister! That man just gave you a goldmine of possible blog post titles.

Anonymous said...

Classic religio-comedic bait and switch. Lure them in with an apartment, and then wham, hit them with the evangelical joke book.

Anonymous said...

Hey, it could have been worse. At least he didn't try to recruit you for Amway.