advertising and other stuff. no, really.



Monday, November 5, 2007

Clearasil’s Mom I’d Like to Facebook.

Check out Clearasil’s MAY CAUSE CONFIDENCE microsite from an ad I saw on Facebook. Forget their over-hyped method of mining user data, or how brands are just buying space anywhere they can on social media sites trying to reach teens, I have other issues. Issues that need clearing up. (Ouch again.) That’s why you come here. While the site and the vids are nicely done, this one vid reinforces the double standard of the teen boy/older woman hookup.

However, the conversation I heard behind us at a recent MLS game offers a differing POV on that topic. To set it up, four members of the local NJ high school geek squad had just spotted a woman a few rows down. One, who by any normal Man Show standard, would safely be considered more of a Mom I’d Like to Facebook than the mom in the commercial. I now present you their in-depth focus group analysis, almost verbatim:

GS1: “Oh, just saw it. Thong alert.”
GS2: “Where?
GS3: “Yeah, I saw it too.”
GS1: “Down there. Brunette right there.”
GS2: “Dude, you see her thong? When?”
GS1: “When she stood up.”
GS4: “I saw it.”
GS3: “Yeah, nasty. Purple right? Why you looking?”
GS1: “You f*g, she stood up, I wasn’t looking. She’s like 40. She’s ugly too–and married. Look at the guy next to her.”
GS3: “F*ck you, YOU’RE a f*g. Yeah, she’s way too old and fat.”

Now that’s a Clearasil demo.

Tags:

1 comment:

HighJive said...

based on the commercials, the tagline should be revised to:

clearasil. may cause horniness.

wonder if the responsible creatives aren't thirty-something (or older) males.