advertising and other stuff. no, really.



Wednesday, January 7, 2009

“Our Lady of lost 401—pray for us!”

No, you won’t find lists of agency job cuts on this here blog because I don’t deal in that there kinda misery. The only thing close to that is a story out of the UK where the Church of England has created two new prayers for not only those who have lost their jobs, but for those who remain. No kidding on the latter. Prayer for more caffeine because now you just got saddled with the jobs of everyone around you who got fired.

1 comment:

phillybikeboy said...

Funny, but I can relate. After getting laid off I am upbeat and positive. Of course, that's easy since with 13 years service I got a decent severance package and don't have to worry about things for a few months. I don't need any prayers right now.

When I hear from my friends left behind (not the Tim LaHaye version) the mood is the total opposite. They say the layoffs created a toxic mood, everyone is overworked, and quality is out the window. I'm the one who got laid off, but they're the ones I feel sorry for.

I suspect there are a number of workplaces where there is some echo of words of President Muffley from Doctor Strangelove, when he asks, “Wouldn’t this nucleus of survivors be so grief-stricken and anguished that they’d, well, envy the dead?”