advertising and other stuff. no, really.



Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Barney Frank to head government-run advertising agency oversight committee thing.

I thought I rambled. What the hell is he even saying? Why do I have this fear that the government is going to start an advertising oversight committee and Frank is going to be CCGO? (Chief Creative Government Officer.) Watch him wander through the CNBC clip answering questions nobody asked and constantly attacking corporate golf sponsorships:

“If the justification is marketing, bringing your brand to the attention of the public, presumably you do that by putting your name on a tournament. What’s that got to do with taking some of your employees and putting them up in luxury hotels?”

I’m all for spending wisely and nixing private jets for companies getting bailout cash, but don’t let’s not forget agencies here. (Stopping golf outings wouldn’t do anything.) Has he even seen what agencies spend on outings and shoots? I don’t recall ever seeing a CD stay at a Red Roof.

Anchor Darren Rovell then clouds the issue further by introducing sports marketing into the mix, which throws Barney even more off-track. Fox he lets interrupt, but here, watch Barney man up and take a stand! Cue scene in Good Will Hunting where Ben Affleck as Chuckie pretends to be Will during a job interview:

“Nobody in this town works without a retainer guys. You think you can find someone who does, let me tell you you have my blessin’. But I think we all know that person isn't going to represent you as well as I can. Reee-TAIN-er! ... Retainer.”

Barney, if that agency ever does come to fruition and you choose to head it up? Mister, you’ve got my vote.

No comments: