advertising and other stuff. no, really.



Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Etrek.



Just when I think I will have nothing to write about, Esurance saves the day with a spot to promote the new Star Trek. *sigh* Okay, I get that a few brands can’t let go of their cute characters, but time and place people. I’m sure a few people there are Trekkies and what not, but if it don’t fit, you must acquit. Way to ruin the coolness of the trailer with their usual not-so-punny animated character of past spots “Erin.” The last near space promotion miscue I can think of came back when I was working with the promotion agency for Last Action Hero. They were doing the usual Burger King/fast food tie-in blitz and some genuis from the studio said, “Hey, let’s put the name of the movie on the side of a booster rocket for the next shuttle launch.” Yeah, good move. Be another bomb in space. Idea. Shelved. Esurance? Woulda been cooler if you guys just broke character and had your real people talk about how much they liked Trek.

No comments: