advertising and other stuff. no, really.



Tuesday, August 24, 2010

This missing limb brought to you by G4 and the U.S. Navy.



















The closest I got to recruitment was the Navy rock band that came to our high school in my senior year. G4 is trying a *different* approach with “Bomb Patrol: Afghanistan.” It’s going to be a new reality series that mirrors the Hurt Locker, featuring a U.S. Navy Explosive Ordnance Disposal (EOD) unit through training and deployment scenarios. The Navy will have no creative control, which I’m guessing is meant to assuage fears that they will seek to max out with a heavy recruiting message. While I get what the approach behind it from G4 president Neal Tiles, the veiled recruitment angle is yet one more evolution of *integrated* programming involving the military and one that networks slap themselves silly over for having pulled off. BUT MAYBE IT’S ME. Here are a few comments so far:

“This is disgusting. Don’t watch this. They just want to see one of our EODs die. I can’t beleive the Navy let them do this.”

“Great! Lets show the bad guys exactly how we disarm their bombs so they can learn to work around that.”

“This is stupid, and disgusting. For starters, my brother is a Combat Engineer in the USMC and has suffered wounds, and the lost of friends as a result of doing the exact job that the EOD performs, in both Iraq and Afghanistan. -- As ‘Smitty’ said, they just want the rating boost from someone getting hurt, maimed or worse. On top of that, we’re going to record our training sessions for the enemy’s convenience. I just lost almost all respect for the channel and I cannot believe the Navy EOD is going for this cheap and stupid publicity.”

I think that about sums it up.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"Combat Engineer in the USMC and has suffered wounds, and the lost of friends as a result of doing the exact job that the EOD performs, in both Iraq and Afghanistan."

I dont know your brother but I assure you he doesnt know or do anything close to what EOD does.