advertising and other stuff. no, really.



Wednesday, May 31, 2006

DVD covers - the new LPs?

Soccer and DVD covers. Where’s this going? I’ll let ya know when I figure it out.

First, DVD covers. Gone are the days of massive point-of-purchase real estate for designers to showcase their skillz like you’d see on LPs. (Vinyl for the old-school out there.) For the new school, those were round black things that spun, but were read by needles, not lasers. Oh forget it.

So as I find myself getting ready for World Cup action recently, I was looking for soccer movies. As I did, I thought about the shrinking real estate that’s now left for artwork, and how DVD covers are probably the only thing today we see, besides one-sheets at the movies, that now have the duty of grabbing our attention. Vinyl covers had that effect, but now on CD, the impact of Steely Dan’s Asia cover is just not the same. (Which by the way was my third album owned, and yes I still have it, along with my first and second.)

And what better DVD to cover both topics than with than Victory. Is there a soccer movie with a more perfect Hollywood-ending? A better cover? A better use of Sly Stallone and Michael Caine forming a V FOR VICTORY PEOPLE?

If there is, I haven’t seen it.

Tags: , , ,

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

So much progress has been made recently in surgical techniques that it's often possible to correct this kind of conjoinery at the sternum, assuming they don't share too many organs.

Anonymous said...

Thing is, Caine’s in so many roles he’d probably be his own surgeon.

SchizoFishNChimps said...

This film is so awful, you've got to watch it. It was lucky for the Allied prisoners that the pesky Nazis just happened to capture a Brazilian footballer. Best bit is the end, where the 1940s crowd invades the pitch. Count the circa 1970s cagoulle raincoats.

Anonymous said...

Oh you want ‘awful’ and ‘Michael Caine’ in the same film do you?

I give you Jaws 4. Just watch it for the scene where he’s on a helicopter that’s attacked by the shark, he then falls into the water, then pulls himself out after.

And his clothes are dry.

That’s right people. I said dry.

Anonymous said...

Oh and yes, the Nazis not only captured a Brazilian footballer, but um, the greatest to ever play the game.

¡Qué suerte!