advertising and other stuff. no, really.



Saturday, August 19, 2006

So I quit...

Last Friday. Left a job basically on principle at the end of the day. Until now, never did that. You tend to put up with a LOT of bullshit over the years if you plan on making it. Not that day. Odd thing though, when you think about pulling the ‘screw this place, I’m outta here’ move, it never really goes down quite the way you wanted. All I can say is this move was mostly about:

1) Loyalty — to a CD who had originally brought me in and who was suddenly forced to mutually part ways that morning because she ‘wasn’t taking us in the direction we wanted to go.’ And ain’t that the typical company lie line about good people told ‘round the agency world?

2) Stupidity — This, well this was a very close second as the voice of the better half was in my head as I hit the ‘send’ button on the email: “Think first idiot. Benefits, benefits!”

3) Frustration-idity — Yeah, that’s a word now. When the job around you becomes the opposite of what you were lead to believe.

I can deal with number three. And if it was just that, then number two isn’t even on the table and instead I’m blogging about a book I just read.

Number three though? That ain’t up for discussion, no matter what.

So for now, I’m going all over, going national, going anywhere that gives a fuck about creative.

Does that place exist?

10 comments:

Maulleigh said...

leap and the net will appear. You will be okay. You will look back on this someday as the best thing you ever did.

Irene Done said...

So there's that.

Seriously, bless you and good luck. And Maulleigh's right -- it will all lead to better things.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, thanks, gang. Funny thing, I always know I’ll end up better off.

Anonymous said...

Holy shit. This is what I get for checking in with my reading roster late in the day...

Send your stuff; remember, I told you about that something-something at you-know-where that might be a good step... if you can put up with the temperature.

I'll put in a word.

Anonymous said...

hj - Thanks, and you’re on deck I swear! I'm 1/3 of the way through it. That and Blink are the only two I could get to in a year, which is pretty pathetic I suppose. Print may not be dead, but for me reading it seems to be, lol.

Once I’m done, I'm pushinng it here.

Aj said...

Wow. Wao. Wow.

-Aj

Scamp said...

wishing you the best of British luck!

HighJive said...

well, it’s a little late, but check this.

http://www.careerlab.com/art_quit.htm

at the same time, it’s always nice to be able to walk because you felt like it, versus the other way around. oh, if only we all had the resources and conviction to say fuck it more often. i always wonder, “why should i consider leaving? why don’t the morons creating chaos and driving the shop into the ground leave instead?” but the morons not only stick around, they get regularly promoted.

congratulations and all the best.

Jane said...

good luck! all too often we find ourselves in that situation and instead of doing what you did, we sit there and take it (usually right up the bum). Bravo for standing up for yourself in a business where unless you do, it's unlikely someone else will. :)

czeltic girl said...

Sorry for being late to the party. Been offline more than on in the last 2 weeks.

Wow. I've left a company for similar reasons once before. It's a scary, scary thing to do, but in the end, you'll be happier for leaving.

Not that I have a ton of connections, but if I hear of anything, I'll pass along word.

Best of luck in your hunt for something less soul-sucking. I have faith you'll find something that will make you happy.