advertising and other stuff. no, really.



Thursday, June 14, 2007

Anyone else all ‘caused out’ yet?

So now Live Earth is coming up, Al Gore’s other wet dream. I appreciate the sentiments surrounding the global warming issue, but doesn’t this event feel like it’ll just blend in with the white noise of past agenda-driven concerts? Live 8, Band Aid, Live Aid, Farm Aid, Bar Maid, LemonAde, First Aid. Where does it end? All of those were supposed to ‘solve’ their respective problems.

They didn’t though.

So bands moved on to the next issue. I don’t see this one ‘solving the climate crisis’ as their mission statement indicates. Guess I always had a problem with the notion that if a band played guitar that the problem goes away instantly. Bono sings and suddenly AIDS disappears. Instead, why not settle for raising awareness like Gore did it with his Alfomercial/doc. (Ironic that Woodstock had no political agenda beyond peace, yet to this day it’s still the one concert most people remember, and likely the greenest of all of them too.) And if going green is so critical to the mission, how much energy will be expended to raise awareness this time around?

Tags:

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I used to think like you after Mike (Hutchence) stole my wife. I thought, "What's the fucking point of all this do-good shit I do if the karma payback is nothing but pain?"

Then Mike offed himself and I got back in the game. I also have custody of his daughter now.

Life is good and the stars are alligned.

Thinking In Vain said...

I had no idea Ludacris was such an environmentalist.

Joker said...

.. to your righteous concert going mother.


I dunno, apart from making the whole thing seem kinda empty and lacking in comparison to numerous other types of manifestations, you have to wonder two things at least.

1.) how many people believe in the cause hence them going to the event to offer support for it.

2.) Why the hell the US leg of these concerts blows so hard. While others get Pink Floyd, the US got Will Smith and Black Eyed Peas WTFFFFFFF