advertising and other stuff. no, really.



Monday, August 6, 2007

I met someone else online.

James H. is normal.

I had this vision of his profile pic locked into my head, so when I saw him Friday, I was almost like, “Hey, glad you could make it–who the hell are you again?” Chalk it up to the road, end of tour thing. Some of the bloggers I’ve read and seen pics of, well, you formulate opinions about. James has a writing style and POV I’ve always liked. Coupled with his pic, and I guess I expected Hunter S. Thompson. (How was I going to be able to hang with Hunter?)

Fear not. James was anything but gonzo, and he dug the tour concept. And like all the agency people we met along the way, he ‘got it.’ We’ve talked before about new media issues and brands and from what it sounds like, he’s dialed in with it all at his shop Slingshot.

To bring it around to brands, it shows that even though we had established communication prior to meeting, we probably still had certain expectations for what meeting each other would be like. So how can brands blindly jump into a conversation with consumers and expect to fit right in–especially if consumers know nothing or next to nothing about them?

5 comments:

James-H said...

Normal. My mother would be proud.

Jason Fox said...

Sorry I couldn't make it, Bill. I could've worn my plaid shoes.

Anonymous said...

Oh sure, using the ‘I was busy because my wife’s pregnant’ excuse already?

Jason Fox said...

Well, I was actually using the "You picked a bar 40 minutes from my home" excuse. But if I can start laying blame on my wife's belly, so be it.

Anonymous said...

Ha, yeah, thing was we got an invite from the BoS owner’s wife after she caught the tour online. Probably wouldn't have thought of this place otherwise. In hindsight, we seemed to fit and it turned out pretty well in the end.