advertising and other stuff. no, really.



Monday, June 9, 2008

PARENTS STRONGLY CAUTIONED. Fun with PG-13.

Saw this article on how studios are getting around the ratings system for kids advertising by using marketing partners to indirectly pitch them. That’s not the only problem I see though. Studios also routinely run trailers for movies that have a more restrictive rating than the one people came to see. What’s missing too is any discussion of another important factor. It’s not irresponsible advertisers—it’s parents who bring their 6-year olds to PG-13 movies in the first place, offering up two popular excuses that I can’t buy: 1) “Couldn’t find a sitter” and 2) “Kids are more grown-up these days, they can handle it.”

Oh yeah? All I know is, my dad took me to see 2001 when I was five, and I still haven’t recovered. Nothing messes with someone like Kubrick early in life. Just sayin.

1 comment:

Joker said...

Other movies that messed me up, Child's Play, Predator (still look at trees and remember getting freaked out), Jaws of course and many more.