advertising and other stuff. no, really.



Sunday, January 14, 2007

We’re all critics.

Wouldn’t have it any other way. Most of the blogs I read have one take or another on campaigns that work, don’t work, suck, not suck, and so on. There’s stuff like the Geicio cavemen campaign that I love that others might hate hearing me mention by now, and vice versa.

At times however, I’ll see anonymous comments by agency people defending work that has obvious issues and labeling anyone who says otherwise as a hater. Please.

Whether it’s me, george, copyranter, hj, ernie or AC, the views expressed are the same ones I would bring up and expect to be brought up in a creative meeting or brainstorm session, especially if they were warranted. “Too punny, too ridiculous, already been done, etc.” Whatever the crit may be. Sometimes there’s sarcasm behind it, other times, anger as we let the F-bombs fly. Still, just because there’s emotion behind the writing doesn’t make it any less valid. Hurt feelings shouldn’t get in the way if it’s “all about the work,” a mantra I hear often.

After all, aren’t we judged by our books when we interview with CDs who turn pages at light speed? By clients who either love the new campaign or don’t think it works? Now true, if the only thing ad bloggers said was “this sucks,” then that wouldn’t really be constructive. That’s more though the typical ‘anonymous’ response in comments sections and not what I’m talking about. I mean legit crit.

Otherwise, CDs and clients would just love everything presented to them like my mommy loved that piece of shit crayon drawing I did in the 2nd grade. (Actually, mom was in rehab, but had she’d been home, she would’ve put in on the fridge, I just know it.)

I’d also hope in that meeting with other creatives we’d all be on the same wavelength about what’s going to work and what won’t. Creatives honest enough to bring up certain things they had a problem with. Those are the haters I wanna party with cowboy.

Tags: ,

2 comments:

RFB said...

Spoken to the character "Lee Harvey," a most excellent character name.

Anonymous said...

Only in advertising can you shamelessly pilfer Phil Hartman's well-known and much beloved SNL sketch and be lauded a genius.

I only wish that I had done it first.