advertising and other stuff. no, really.



Sunday, January 3, 2010

Cue tears.



JUH-ease-SUS this Humane Society spot kicks the hell out of Noah Wyle’s floating polar bears or Sarah McLachlan’s sad dogs. My dog and I cried watching this. Almost. Here’s the thing, while Wendie Malick & Co. tug at heartstrings in a way PETA still doesn’t get, I think they don’t need a $19 per month price spot.

First, the images are so striking on their own; gotta let them do their thing without the blatant plug. People will donate what they can anyway, and I wonder if a fixed amount like that might not alienate people who might not have the extra cash in times like these. But the main thing that bugs gets you (maybe), is the heavy dose of anthropomorphism:

“WHY WON’T YOU FUCKING PEOPLE COME SAVE ME? PUT DOWN YOUR REMOTE AND PICK UP THE FUCKING PHONE. YOU SPEND MORE ON SCRAPBOOKING EACH MONTH. SO FUCKING CALL AND FEED ME. OH SURE, I BET YOU’RE PETTING YOUR DOG NOW WHILE YOU BOTH WEAR YOUR SNUGGIES. REWIND THE SPOT—YOU SEE ANY WARM SNUGGIES UP IN HERE?”

No, no I do not.

*sniff, sniff*

(Call 1-877-213-6405 or visit their site.)

No comments: