advertising and other stuff. no, really.



Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Blog linking help.

Not a particularily sexy title I know. Sorry, but every post here can’t be about K-Fed, as much as he is blogging gold. Sometimes, I might just offer useful geek tips. Like... a new way to track inbound links.

Used Google’s new Google Blog Search, found on Micro Persuasion. If you normally use Technorati to see who’s linking to your blog like I do, use the Google one too. I ended up spending hours following the link trails to see who’s been hiding in the bushes and commenting back where possible. (Blogs which Technorati missed for some reason.)

A few such links were added to the Link-O-Rama sidebar, like Right-Half Chow, brandflakes for breakfast and Market My Monkey to name but a few. You may be someone who hates doing anything other than posting. That’s cool. But checking links does two important things:

First, it exposes you to some new points of view from readers you may not know who read your blog.

Secondly, it’s good for inbound traffic from those sites as well as them turning people on to you. Within one hour of posting tonight, the Google search picked up someone who linked in, while the technorati link feature I normally use hadn’t shown anything, even hours later.

Tags: , , ,

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I really kind of hate Technorati. I feel like it's always behind, and misses stuff FREQUENTLY. Alas.

How, exactly, do you use this Google Blog Search? I typed in the name of my site but I know that it isn't always referenced by name when linked to. Is there a trick I'm missing?

Anonymous said...

Go to that Google Blog Search link, type in your blog name, then hit ‘search blogs’, and anyone linking to your blog or any posts will show up.

Then just click any link in the results page to see who’s linking and to what.

Anonymous said...

However, that only shows you who's linking to your blog by saying, "This link is thanks to [whoever] at [wherever]". I know a lot of time I link to blogs just within the context of what I'm saying and without actually calling out the name of the blog. I'm going to try to search for the URL.

(Oh, and thanks for adding the link to my site! Makes me and the monkey quite happy.)

Anonymous said...

No troubles. I don't see many blogs on film marketing, an area of interest around here.

As for context in posts, I always try to link to n actual URL just for that reason, so that the engines will be more likely to pick it up.

darryl ohrt said...

Thanks for the link.

Who's that supposed to be a photo of? For the record, that's not anyone on the Brand Flakes for Breakfast team.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

No prob. I could say that was me in my CB youth, but alas, it was just the luck of the Google images draw.