advertising and other stuff. no, really.



Friday, February 22, 2008

Hidden demos.













More random pop-ups that found their way to me. Gay. Straight. Goth. Whatever. A person’s preferences are their business, that’s not the point of this post. (And, gay, straight or goth, I’ll be honest—I don’t trust realtors at all.) Regardless, should brands focus on separate demos using different messages that might be unacceptable to a general market, or should it be a case of one size fits all advertising? I haven’t seen a specific Goth ad for Coke per se, but there is a gay focus in American Airlines’ recent work. Do advertisers risk losing money by alienating certain groups because they went with a single message that was deemed safe enough for flyover country? Does it even matter?

5 comments:

Andy Jukes said...

I'm totally buying from the next Goth real estate agent who spams me. That black eyeliner is so hottt.

Anonymous said...

In these cases, exclusion is a side-effect of effectively defining audiences. Making everybody happy is a fantasy, the pursuit of which makes clients invisible, and our lives difficult. If anything, gothscene should be more specific: 45 Grave goth or Bauhaus goth, etc.

Very much enjoying MTLB, btw.

Anonymous said...

andy-Gonna pass. When I sell the house next time? It’s gonna be ‘For sale by owner’ my friend.

@joe-Thanks for the comments. My head will start spinning at the breakdown of all the subgroups though. ;-p

I’m more of a minimalist post-modern Goth myself.

Anonymous said...

mtlb -- As for selling houses, I can tell you what worked for me once. There are outfits that charge a couple of hundred bucks to list your place on fmls (and realtor.com) and do the paperwork if you accept an offer. Obviously this gives you a lot of pricing flexibility if you need it since you're not paying a commission. This is what worked for me after I had it listed with an agent for six months with no offers, an agent who just about had a psychotic episode when I didn't renew her.

As for the larger question you posed, I think there is probably some sort of branding impact when you see lifestyle-specific user imagery. Whether it translates to changes in behavior, I doubt it. Just guessing though.

Anonymous said...

or-thanks for the tip. What kills me about realtors in general is their recent campaign touting how they have ethics.

Um, yeah, okay. Sure.