advertising and other stuff. no, really.



Thursday, March 2, 2006

What type of client would you not work for?

I was thinking of this after reading the critique of Kobe’s new ad in several blogs. It got me thinking what would I do, if I was at WK and had a chance to work on that spot. (I wouldn’t have as much time to blog for one), but I would say to Kobe, be 100% honest or don’t do it at all.

Charles Barkley wants to tell me he’s not a role model for my kids. Fine I could deal, because that's his disclaimer which basically says “After I go out and drop 87 on the Clippers tonight, I’m hitting the town.” At least you know where you stand, and that with Charles, anything’s possible later that evening.

But, it also shows that we don’t have as much say in who our agencies take work from unless you’re high up in the food chain. Do we have a choice? Yes. Always. We can be the hero with principles and quit, or shut-up and take the check. (And I’ve refused a few checks and taken others over the years depending.)

Having said that, which industries would you rather not take on work from? Either due to moral priniciple or because it’s a creative black hole:

Tobacco
Gaming
Alcohol
Pharmaceutical
Legal/Law
Celebrity/Athlete with questionable past
Free polls from Pollhost.com

1 comment:

Scott Baradell said...

This is a good poll. I voted for tobacco ... like everyone else, it seems.